How to wear a face mask
What is a face covering?
Face masks are one tool utilized for preventing the spread of disease. They may also be called dental, isolation, laser, medical, procedure, or surgical face masks.
Face masks are loose-fitting masks that cover the nose and mouth, and have ear loops or ties or bands at the back of the head. There are many different brands and they come in different colours. It is important to use a face mask that is CE approved and certified EN 14683
What is a face masks used for?
Face masks help limit the spread of germs. When someone talks, coughs, or sneezes they may release tiny drops into the air that can infect others. If someone is ill a face covering can reduce the number of germs that the wearer releases and can protect other people from becoming sick. A face mask also protects the wearer’s nose and mouth from splashes or sprays of body fluids.
When should a face mask be worn?
Consider wearing a face mask when you are sick with a cough or sneezing illness (with or without fever) and you expect to be around other people. The face mask will help protect them from catching your illness. Healthcare settings have specific rules for when people should wear face coverings.
How to put on and remove a face covering
Disposable face masks should be used once. You should also remove and replace face covering when they become moist.
Always follow product instructions on use and storage of the mask, and procedures for how to put on and remove a face covering. If instructions for putting on and removing the face mask are not available, then follow the steps below.
How to put on a face covering:
- Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer before touching the face mask.
- Remove a mask from the pack and make sure there are no obvious tears or holes in either side of the face mask.
- Determine which side of the mask is the top. The side of the face mask that has a stiff, bendable edge is the top and is meant to mould to the shape of your nose.
- Determine which side of the face mask is the front. The coloured side of the face mask is the front and should face away from you, while the white side touches your face.
- Follow the instructions below for the type of face mask you are using.
- Face mask with Ear loops: Hold the mask by the ear loops. Place a loop around each ear.
- Face mask with Bands: Hold the face mask in your hand with the nosepiece or top of the face covering at fingertips, allowing the headbands to hang freely below hands. Bring the face mask to your nose level and pull the top strap over your head so that it rests over the crown of your head. Pull the bottom strap over your head so that it rests at the nape of your neck.
- Pinch the stiff edge to the shape of your nose.
- Pull the bottom of the face mask over your mouth and chin.
How to remove a face mask:
- Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer before touching the mask. Avoid touching the front of the face covering. The front of the mask is contaminated. Only touch the ear loops/ties/band.Follow the instructions below for the type of face covering you are using.
- Face masks with Ear loops: Hold both of the ear loops and gently lift and remove the mask.
- Face masks with Bands: Lift the bottom strap over your head first then pull the top strap over your head.
- Dispose of the the face mask in the bin. Clean your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer.